Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sugar Hill

Here's a fun old-time song, Sugar Hill. I've put it in the key of C, in ionian tuning. I can sing it better in C than in D. Maybe I'll try to do another version in the key of G for other singers' voice ranges, what do you think?

My 9 year old banjo student loves this song because everyone is knocking each other upside the head and being all rowdy like... It should be played and sung with gusto...no funeral procession renditions, please!

Click here to listen to a peppy little version of Sugar Hill played by two good friends of ours, Beth and Woody from New Hampshire.


1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this song!.....but not for a long time. It is such a simple song I couldn't capture the spirit of it playing it by myself. Then the fiddlers I play with started playing it and I began to understand it.

    Great pic btw....tough & cute all wrapped up into one!

    ReplyDelete